Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      RickRick
      Participant

I went to GC today and I was looking at epiphone les Paul’s and their slash epiphone les paul, they but look and feel like my chibson, they have the same bridge that I replaced and the regular epi had a 3 piece body, that one was $400.00 and the slash was over $800.00. I really never really paid much attention to them till I got my chibson, they were also both made in china. I just thought it was funny as the salesman was asking me if I was wanting to upgrade, I just said that I was looking.

davesintexasdavesintexas
      Participant

This is what sorta confuses me. If you already have a Les Paul why another one? To keep one in a different tuning or different PUPs? I settled the problem of different PUPs with some Seymour Duncan P-Rails and Triple Shot Rings. Now that Les Paul plays with P-90s, Humbuckers and
      Strat, sounding PUPs.
      What I can say is that you may want to look into the Epi ES 339. Its a Killer guitar, same size as the Lesters and delivers some great tones. Have a good one.

WranchWranch
        Participant

Hey davesinte xax, ES-339 is larger than Les Pauls. Wider, not as thick, but takes a completely different hardshell case.

Rick, I concur, completely. My Chibson was custom made for me, with certain attributes that I requested, like no inlays on the ebony fretboard, and black binding on the neck. Epiphone (or any other big brand) won’t do that for me at two, three, four times the price (or any price), which makes my Chibson even MORE of a value.

Also why pay more for the uglier headstock. Chibsons aren’t anymore Chinese than Epiphones, which Gibson sent to China a long time ago. They should blame themselves if they don’t like Chibsons.

NickInTheStatesNickInTheStates
      Participant

I’m probably in the minority here… or maybe not, but I could have a Les Paul for every day of the week. The stop tail Les Paul. The Bigsby Les Paul. The PAF, the P90, the mini humbuckers. The hot as balls pickups one and the mellow soul one. And the pretty one. Or Ones. But I’m a guitar hoarder who is beyond hope so there’s that!

I just realized I do have an LPish guitar for every day of the week… (LP Trad Plus, LP Trad Pro II, LP Studio Tribute, Melody Maker Special, Bulldog Bodies LP Kit, Chibson San Lee and Chibson China Blue). I’ve booked an appointment with my therapist.

RickRick
      Participant

Nick, I think we all have gas here and should see a shrink for it, or not!
      Ratchet I agree with you about the epi’s being just a chibson with an ugly head stock and three times the price. If you covered up the head stock and handed me an epi and a chibson I would have a hard time telling the difference. I see on the gibson forum bashing the chibsons and what chinese junk they are then in the same breath talk about how much better the epi is, they drink way to much gibson kool aid.

WranchWranch
      Participant

I went through 4 Epi’s before getting my Chibson. The Epi’s were WORSE in many ways, and I’m much happier with my Chibson, but I’ve found other asian brands to be even better, like Schecter and Squier. I was very displeased with all 4 Epiphones I bought new.

Their hardware was all chewed up, like they used too small screwdrivers on the screws and let them slip, eating up the hardware and leaving sharp edges. On one, the bridge stud was all ate up and scratched my hand really badly during palm mutes. I had to file it down and much of the chrome finish got removed, looked really bad.

It had its headstock plate (WildKat) assembled EXTREMELY crooked. I could have done better blindfolded, it was an eyesore. The whole thing buzzed everywhere, just a real piece. I’ll likely never buy another, unless it’s an older MIJ or MIK and it happens to be a good one. I’m very unimpressed with Epiphone. I think it’s the WORST out of the budget guitars.

I got a couple Squiers at half the price, and they’re leaps and bounds better. I was a Les Paul guy, and thought I hated all Fender-style guitars, but these Squier Teles changed my mind about that.

WranchWranch
      Participant

For the record, LP’s are still my favorite shape guitar, and I’m a Gibson fan. I just they’re overpriced and probably not worth it, but I absolutely love the ones I bought new. The Gibsons I got used all suck pretty bad though, and need a lot of work. I don’t know if they were just abused, or if they got better in recent years, or if they just get worse with age.

SmokeyDBeardudeSmokeyDBeardude
      Participant

Hey guys I’m trying to buy a double neck chickenbacker bass on top guitar on bottom can I ask for another input jack I would like 2 for separate amps also it doesn’t come with a case do u know where I could find one. Lol this has nothing to do about guitarcenter but u were talking about specs soo I thought that was cool and you gotta pic of yolandi that’s fuckin killer bro help a brother out get his Rush on.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.