CGS Forums Community News – Open Public Forum How long is too long in customs?

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      gyrokeith
      Participant

My guitar has been NY customs for 42 days. There has been no seizure letters or USPS notifications. I have emailed customs .. and of course.. no response. Is this normal?

dtrain
      Participant

I have heard stories of anywhere from days to 3 or so months stuck in customs. If it’s a copyrighted item you SHOULD NOT CONTACT CUSTOMS as you then you can’t plead that someone must have ordered it without your knowledge by getting your credit card information etc.

That being said, it might show up and you’ll have to pay duty / inspection fees on it. Or you’ll get a letter saying it’s been seized and all your options, which I’ve only ever heard of people ignoring and nothing more coming of it.

I would cancel my order from wherever you bought it, claiming the package never showed up and it’s been long enough. That way if it shows up, you get a free guitar, if it doesn’t, you already have your money back

gyrokeith
      Participant

I told the seller about the delay. He did extend the protection. But the next day he went ahead and built another one for me and shipped it, even without me asking. They are trademark guitars with upgrades. That guitar has now passed through customs.

This guy seems to be a reliable seller. He is on the B list.

gyrokeith
      Participant

After receiving the second guitar it seems the first is now clear of customs (after 60 days). I do not know if the seller will recall it or if it will be shipped here. I am gonna let it do it’s own thing. I already have a nice guitar and realy don’t need a twin to it.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.