CGS Forums Community News – Open Public Forum PRS Clone with Maple Fretboard

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      thewhittles
      Participant

Hello,

I’ve been viewing CGS’ videos on youtube for some time, as well as other similar videos but I am new to the forum. I came here because I am devoted to buying a Chinese guitar, most likely a PRS type.

I love my PRS and my Ibanez Artist Model that I have had since 1985. What I am interested in is a PRS (Gibsons have never interested me and I’ve never owned one, but I’m not categorically against a Chibson) but one that I could truly make my own, both with logo (no fake/counterfeit logos for me!) on the headstock and I am especially interested in a maple fretboard. I haven’t seen anybody order a Gibson or PRS with a maple fretboard. Would that be a reasonable request? I don’t want to ask for anything that would result in a poor build, and I just haven’t seen anybody ask for something like that. I’ll be honest and I don’t believe tonewoods have ANY effect on an amplified guitar signal, given potted electromagnetic pickups. I’m not interested in a debate, I just am not as concerned with wood in the body (except for aesthetic purposes), but I LOVE the way a maple fretboard feels and plays. And a neck that invites me to play… well, I play better and sound better. It’s a confidence/inspiration/feedback thing. I’m well aware that PRS himself is VERY into the wood he uses, as well as its dryness etc. Regardless of when I agree or disagree with him, he’s obviously a brilliant craftsman and a luthier I have immense respect for.

So, in brief, would asking for a maple fretboard on a PRS that traditionally does not have one be a reasonable request, do you think the sellers would use good craftsmanship in doing so, would the price remain reasonable, and most of all – has anybody ordered a Chibson or PRS with a maple fretboard and how did it turn out?

Thank you!

JamesInChinaJamesInChina

asking for maple instead of rosewood or ebony would be no problem for most sellers

thewhittles
      Participant

Thanks!!! That gives me some confidence. Well, I’m off to see X with The Blasters opening. Billy Zoom’s sparkly guitars are ironic. Maybe I will get inspired tonight to think about some other guitar features!!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.