CGS Forums Community News – Open Public Forum Seller Going Underground?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Michael Wamback

Had a recent comment on a Facebook page indicating that AliExpress is cracking down on Chibsons. The individual said that the seller he uses has disappeared from their website.

Had a look (been a while), and sure enough – a lot of the sellers I was familiar with seem to have vanished. Cathy, in particular, was a notable absence.

In the past, there have been periodic crackdowns on Chibson builders. Usually, they go underground for a couple of weeks and then it’s business as usual. It seems like a token gesture to appease the US that they are cracking down on counterfeit goods.

Since Alibaba has just gone public, it will be interesting to see if this is what happens this time, or if there are actual changes afoot.

If any of you have a close relationship with any of these sellers – maybe send them off a quick message to find out what is up.

dino007dino007
      Participant

Ya this is common, years ago when I bought from “Dave” he closed his store 4 times and reopened under a different name. Not sure why they do it.

NickInTheStatesNickInTheStates
      Participant

Hey Michael,

I dropped Cathy a note as I had a guitar in progress with her when her store shut down. This was another round of copyright enforcement shut downs. Dylan shops had been hit by Fender a few weeks before and was shut down. They’re now back online but without any Strats or Teles. Cathy has a new temporary site up and hoped to have her old site back online soon. Here was her last message to me:

AliExpress Chibson Ordering Issues Update

UPDATE from Empress (Cathy):
      “yse,friend, Aliexpress frozen many seller’s shop who sell copy brands guitars…also frozen mine,this is bad news,but no worry your orders,evertything going well as plan,,
      i will try to finish this guitar as soon as possible for u..stay in touch,also take building process image and finished image as we firstly confirmed
      and here is my new shop link
      http://www.aliexpress.com/store/902349
      later i will upload more models from this new shop,,u aslo can try buy from new shop later for new orders”

Many of the top Chibson/Chender sellers on AliExpress have pulled their stores today, including Empress, Guitar Monopoly, Zjason, Kevin Shi and Artfit. There isn’t any good info out yet on the reason.”

What’s funny is that I still get Aliexpress emails enticing me to buy fake Gibsons from Trusted Sellers!

People were kind of freaking out about it so I did a quick Youtube vid when this last round went down:

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.